Monday, April 2, 2012

Inspirational Friends

I was taught many years ago that I should hang out with people who inspired me if I wanted to live a successful life. I've always believed that adage was true. I attend a Friday Bible study that has become another of those inspirational groups for me.

Last week, I felt especially challenged as the conversation swirled around me. As each of the women shared the events of their week I was struck by the effort and prayer they each invested in serving those around them.

One, whose church had taken on the PTA duties of an elementary school, described her involvement in the program as well as her efforts on behalf of another charity in town. Another looks forward to the days each week that she volunteers at a clothing center for those in need. A third had cleaned the house of an elderly woman who was disabled and the fourth had just prepared lunch for 15 ladies who gathered at her house to learn how to sew dresses for African children. The fifth lady had spent the last week and a half volunteering to host a re-enactment of the Old Testament Tabernacle outdoors in the scorching sun and blistering wind of West Texas.

As I listened I thought to myself, none of these women are physically young (though most are younger than I am), and yet they are not wasting the days of their lives. They never spend our time together complaining or discussing why they can't do something. They are storing up treasure for themselves in heaven. 

Last week their conversation included a woman some had met who put us all to shame with her life of serving. Everywhere she looked she saw people whose needs she could help with and she continually strove to meet them. That woman is truly a marvel! I don't remember her name but I'm certain God knows her very well.

Since the meeting on Friday, I've spent a lot of time thinking about my friends and what was said. I've asked God to bring people across my path who I can help and to make me more sensitive to others' needs. I want to ease the burdens of individuals I meet as well as be a part of larger more anonymous projects.

Today as I was preparing to leave a public parking lot a stranger hailed me down. He needed a battery boost to start his car. I didn't even think of saying 'no.' It was very satisfying to 'meet in person' the first answer to my new prayer!

1 comment:

  1. I have to dedicate this blog to Judy, Sally, Karen, Kem, and Wanda. Without them there would be nothing to say!

    ReplyDelete