Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Smallest Comment

Last Saturday morning was one of those perfectly glorious mornings that always make me glad to be alive. The sun was out, the temperature mild and the wind was quiet. I found my spirits rising of their own accord. What a joy to be alive! Suddenly the hope that something wonderful but unexpected could happen bubbled up in my mind and heart. I took the opportunity to get to the grocery store before 8:00 a.m. so I would be ready for a surprise.

On my way home, I was still basking in the glow of the morning. It was one of those times I couldn't keep from smiling even though there was no one else around. I was on my third and last trip to unload the car when two ladies who live in my community came abreast of my car. I didn't know them but it was obvious they were getting their exercise walking through the development.

"Hello!" I called as I straightened up with bags from the back seat. One of the ladies responded cheerily, "Hello!" Encouraged, I continued, "Isn't this the most glorious day?"

To that the other lady said, "Were you the one driving by us a while ago?"

"I might have been," I smiled before closing the door.

"Well, you were going too fast!" she shook her finger at me. "The speed limit's fifteen miles an hour, you know!"

I felt the smile slide off of my face as I mumbled, "Really." Quickly closing the door, I turned and headed for my apartment. A question that I pondered all the rest of the day was already flooding into my mind. How many hours of joy and pleasure have I stolen from others' during my lifetime, just because my focus was on correcting their mistakes?

I'm not trying to defend my driving though generally I do obey rules. I certainly could have been going too fast. Actually, I was enjoying the morning so much my speed never once entered my mind. But just then, my behavior was not the point. The joy and pure pleasure of that morning was instantly dimmed for me by the woman's criticism and accusation and I suspected there have been far too many times that I have caused the same thing to happen to someone else. Are these some of the words I'm going to answer for at Jesus' judgment, I wondered?

I was still mulling over this new insight when my sister, Susie, called on Sunday morning. After she heard me out and we thoroughly discussed the event from every possible angle she said, "This reminds me of something that happened to me several years ago."

Susie had gone to the CVS Pharmacy not too long after her daughter had died. She was waiting in the checkout line when the stranger behind her looked at her and smile as she said, "God bless you."

"I've never known what she saw in me," Susie said. "I know I was sad and confused at that time. But whatever prompted her to say it, I've never forgotten how it made me feel. Immediately, I felt hope take hold in my heart. I knew she had told me exactly what I needed to hear. Even though it's been years I've never forgotten it. That stranger gave me the strength to keep on going."

By the time I got to church, I had made up my mind. I want to be the stranger who's remembered years later because my smallest comment makes others feel better for having seen me or encourages others to keep moving forward when the going is tough.

2 comments:

  1. Good word! We'd probably all do well to keep in mind how our words and even our moods affect those around us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting. It really encourages me to know what readers are thinking!

    ReplyDelete