Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Build Up Your World

Last Sunday, my pastor, Ed, was preaching about our responsibility as Christians to build up our world. He didn't specify exactly how we were to do that, but encouraged us to ask God for directions. At that point my thoughts leaped to something I had encountered at my book signing the day before.

The table displaying my book had been set up directly in front of the entrance. It was impossible to miss and made me feel a little like a fish in a bowl sitting behind it. For the first hour my friends and family crowded around me, but for the second hour I was left alone. That's when I noticed that the strangers entering the store fell into one of three categories that reminded me of a living parable.

The first and largest group was made up of ones who studiously ignored me. I wasn't offended because I identified with them. Before I met Jesus I had put on my blinders when I went out in public. In my mind I gave myself several excuses. I was in a hurry or I wasn't interested in... but most important to me was the feeling that if I acknowledged an unexpected presence I would be vulnerable to the stranger's desires or needs. Then how could I escape? Yes, I assured myself it was better to pretend to be blind in public and mind my own business.

The second group was smaller but they were the ones who had captured my attention in the first place. I didn't want to miss that moment of eye-contact and the smile or nod as each passed the table without breaking stride. I also identified with those folks. Many years ago, I had felt I was spreading God's cheer and goodwill when I had decided to smile and nod at fellow-shoppers in the grocery store instead of focusing intently on my purchases or when I actually looked at the checker and let her know I recognized she was a person. You get the idea. Through the years this second of eye-contact in public has made me feel we are all connected; a part of the human race even though we're strangers. Surprisingly, this practice has made me feel strong and secure rather than vulnerable.

But on Saturday, I experienced one more category that I really didn't identify with. That memory is the one that returned while Ed was preaching. About half-way through the last hour a lady came into the store. She obviously wasn't browsing but had a specific reason for coming. After she finished her business she retraced her steps to arrive at my table. Smiling she said, "I just came over to say 'hi'."

"I'm glad you did!" I said smiling back.

She picked up a book and glanced at the back cover as she made another comment or two. I don't remember the gist of our conversation because it wasn't important. The truth I was suddenly aware of was important.

She has come over for me, I thought. She doesn't want a book and is not impressed that I wrote one. She saw me sitting alone and has come to encourage me!

About that time she replaced the book as she said, "I hope you have a really successful book signing and sell lots of books."

I thanked her as she walked away. Then I marveled at how only a minute of two of the woman's kindness had lifted my spirits and renewed my hope. It wouldn't take much, I thought as Ed preached, to build up my world one person at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment