Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Prophetic Messages

Last Sunday, God spoke prophetically to our church as our Father. He said in part, "Little children, much like your earthly fathers, in My eyes you never grow too old to need My protection, provision, grace or comfort. I want to see you living as light-hearted children because I desire to enter into your laughter, into your dancing and into your joy!"

Later, at the time in our service when we are encouraged to greet those worshiping with us a lady came to me to tell me that she felt the prophecy had been meant especially for her. Then, as our pastor preached he referred to it several times. Their reactions led me to remember past prophecies that impacted my life in mighty ways.

In 1973, I spent three months running from a friend, Carolyn, who had prophesied that God wanted me to write 'first and article, then a book.' The idea was so terrifying to me I was willing to destroy my friendship with Carolyn because of it. Then, during an evening service our pastor gave a prophetic message to our congregation that said in part, "I have told you what to do. Are you going to be afraid or are you going to obey?" I knew God was speaking directly to me! All of my excuses fell away. When I reached home I repented and committed myself to writing as He directed. That day my life took a radical turn I never expected or sought, but I have been blessed by it over and over again.

In 1988, I was committed to obeying a direction God had given me to open a free soup kitchen for the homeless in our city. However, everyday a new roadblock seemed to spring up to defeat my efforts. Then, one Sunday morning the Lord spoke to our congregation. In the midst of a lengthy 'word' He said, "Self-doubt and unbelief are the only things that will keep you from the victory." Today, that is an understood principle of walking with Jesus who is always victorious, but it was a new and radical thought back then. However, it was the encouragement I needed to persevere and deal with each obstacle as it arose so that God's plan could come into being.

One Sunday morning in 1986 a guest minister came to our church. After preaching he asked for those wanting prayer to come forward. I was planning to start writing a new book so I went to the front. When the man came to pray with me He had a confirmation from God that I was on the right track. Afterwards, I went back to my seat but before I could sit down he pointed at me and said in a commanding voice, "The Lord says you are to remember that your children may not always understand you, but they do love you." Thinking about it at home, I knew God was showing me something important. So, I wrote down all that He had said and put it in my file of prophetic messages. Two years later, my husband and I separated. When that happened I pulled the word from my files and put it in my billfold where it was continually available. Through all of the dark days leading to divorce it was the only hope I had that my children and I would be reconciled.

God speaks to us in many ways; a prophetic message is just one of them. However, these messages are supposed to fulfill at least one of three criteria. They are given to encourage us, build us up or edify us, or comfort us. We're the ones who lose out if we don't listen carefully.

3 comments:

  1. Always love the way God uses you to prophecy! Your courage to do so is very encouraging and inspiring...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always love the way God uses you to prophecy! Your courage to do so is very encouraging and inspiring...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dawn!! I will say from the lofty advantage of old age and 40 yrs. of experience, "It's becoming easier!" Can't tell you how much I appreciate your encouragement!!!

      Delete