Monday, August 6, 2012

Principles of Forgiveness

I happened across this verse this week. Ephesians 4:32 (NLT) "Be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you." Since I'm convinced that people as a whole do not grow past their leadership, I believe that anyone who wants to live as a Christ follower is going to be greatly tempted during this presidential election season and to come through spiritually victorious in Novermber we need to be prepared.

As I've asked God about how I should proceed He's given me direction that I want to share. First, don't ignore the conflict. He has given each of us a point of view that is important to share with the world. For most of us that means we speak with our vote.

However, if we're not going to ignore what is being said and done by our leaders then we find ourselves mired in the mud of lies, half-truths, slanders and underhanded tricks. As Christians, many of us have struggled out of that lifestyle and the only way we know to confront it again is with fear, anger, or tit-for-tat. I think God has been showing me a better way.

Forgiveness! For every person whose rhetoric offends me, for everyone I think is misguided or worse, for all those who seek to deceive me for their own gain, I must choose to forgive. And by that I mean I must choose to give up the right to resent and fight them in like manner and give that right to God! Since He cares about what happens to me, He will fight for me as I call on Him to bring justice and truth to our leadership.

Don't be confused by what I'm saying. I'm not advocating a position of passivity or weakness. I know that when I forgive it does not mean that I forget and become an emotional zombie. However, my emotions are just that, feelings that remain in the realm of temptation if I deal with them quckly. Anger, disappointment, or outrage that is not dealt with builds into prejudice, resentent or bitterness. As they fester and grow my nature is changed into 'the old man' again and if I act on them I fall into sin. When I choose forgiveness God can heal my feelings and line them up with His Word.

Join me! Choose to become a 'Prayer Warrior' in the old fashioned sense of the term. Together we can experience a victory we cannot achieve alone.

NOTICE:  Carolyn Maze and I will be meeting in the Lobby of Generations Church 3838 50th Street. Monday-Friday at 8:30 am. starting tomorrow, August 7, until election day in November. If you would like to join us to pray for our country and the campaigns we welcome you!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Ma'am,
    I am reading one of your books currently. It is my mums. I used to try to read it when i was a little girl but cudnt realy associate with it. Now I am much older n can really identify with it. I really would love to ask you a few questions abt it. I am being so blessed!
    God bless you. Pls how may i contact u privately?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just in case you didn't get my reply I'll answer here, too. I'd love to chat with you!! e-mail me at: mariannecassell@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete