Monday, June 11, 2012

Easy Mentoring

When my Bible study group was discussing activating blessing streams* our leader, Judy, said she was going to take her granddaughter, Mackenzie, with her. Mackenzie is in grade school and will be spending much of the summer with Judy because her parents both work. "I think she'll really like doing that," Judy said.

Thinking over our conversation reminded me of the year and a half before my youngest daughter, Carrie, started to school. At that time everything about my relationship and understanding of God seemed like new. Instead of reading the latest best seller or watching TV in my spare time I read my Bible, testimony books, or attended classes. I was fascinated by the nature and abilities of God, so I was willing to try any new activity I heard about to get closer to Him. After all, I reasoned, if it doesn't work or I look foolish who will know?

One morning, I was committing my day to God while I brushed my teeth (as was my normal routine) when a thought passed through my mind, "Go into the living room, bow down at the couch and pray out loud." That idea was so startling I sputtered and spewed toothpaste all over the sink! I had quit bowing to pray out loud since bedtime when I was 3 or 4. My average morning devotional consisted of a little reading and a little silent prayer accompanied by a cup of coffee and a cigarette before I dressed for work. However, the more I thought about it the more convinced I was that God must have made the outrageous suggestion...I never would have!

The older girls were already at school. Carrie and her baby-sitter were playing in her room. I seldom saw her until I was ready to leave the house. This is a good time to see what happens, I decided.

I got myself situated at the couch and addressed the Lord. Just the sound of my voice was so intimidating all thought flew from my mind! There I remained with my eyes screwed shut, my head bowed, and my hands folded trying to think of something to pray for anyone that I knew. But my overriding thought was, this is much harder and more embarrassing than I thought!

After mumbling "help her/him" after each name I could think of I called it quits, even though I knew this was going to require lots more practice. I rose from my knees and turned to find Carrie and her babysitter standing behind me. They were staring at me as though awe-struck with their mouths hanging open! Without a word, I lifted my chin, stiffened my spine and proceeded to my bedroom. However, the next morning as I knelt at the couch Carrie silently came to kneel beside me, bowed her head and folded her hands. It only seemed polite to ask her if there was someone or something she wanted to pray for before I stood up. That was how she became my prayer partner.

Driving around from one errand to another seemed like a good time to practice the choruses we were singing at church. They were new to me and difficult to remember. However, when a tune or lyric eluded me I was surprised that Carrie could often insert it. We drove around town singing at the top of our lungs. I don't know if it helped Carrie learn the songs, but by the next Sunday I could sing most of the selections instead of just humming along.

Then, one day I told Carrie about a testimony I'd heard where God directed a woman to a specific house to meet a specific need. "Do you want to practice and see what happens with us?" I asked. Immediately alert, she sat up straight and nodded emphatically. So, we did. Asking and listening, we twisted and turned along the streets of Lubbock until the Lord seemed to say, "Here." I parked while Carrie and I prayed for the people who lived in the house (sometimes houses.) We prayed everything we could think of until we were finally prayed out. Then, we ran our errands, visited friends or whatever else we needed to do.

There were many other 'spiritual games' we played that year. Mostly it just seemed like fun, but through the years there have been times I've thought, if I hadn't practiced that year I wouldn't be prepared to handle whatever was happening now.

As for Carrie, she was a normal kid growing up, but it did seem to be natural for her to hear God's voice. One night when she was 11 we had to take her to our home group meeting. We always got sitters for that meeting but since my older girls had plans we took Carrie along. During the meeting I could see Carrie sprawled on the floor of the next room coloring paper napkins to entertain herself. When we broke for refreshments she came to my side. I thought she wanted something to eat and drink but she said in a voice just above a whisper, "Mommy, God told me something for your group."

"He did?" I asked surprised.

She handed me a folded orange napkin as she nodded. Opening the napkin I found a message printed in her childish scrawl, "Oh, my children I shall love you all of your lives I shall never leave you. My children trust in me all of your needs shall be supplied." (punctuation Carrie's)

*See blessing streams in my blog Let the Church Be the Church posted on June 4, 2012

If you're looking for my book, Available Grace: True Short Stories of the Rewards of Intentional Living click on:  http://sbpra.com/mariannecassell

No comments:

Post a Comment