Thursday, May 31, 2012

What Were You Like?

I had an early morning radio interview scheduled this week, so naturally I waked-up to ask the Lord what I should share. That day, I thought I was especially fuzzy-headed. Maybe I always am but I don't notice. This time I knew my brain needed to engage and my attitude needed to quick-charge before I contacted the DJ. Somehow I needed to get in touch with the Lord. It just wouldn't do for the stories in my book to seem so distant and lifeless to me, but I know I can't breathe life into the remembrances. The Holy Spirit is the One who does that.

I had awakened with plenty of time to prepare before calling the station. However, time was passing and my every thought seemed blah and emotionless.

I remembered years ago hearing a speaker talk about how God's miraculous grace had saved his life and started him on a new path. I was so irritated when the meeting was over I raved to my friend, "If God really saved His life why doesn't he act like it? I've never been so bored by the miraculous power of God in my life!" I didn't want someone to say the same thing about me.

So, I did what I could. I prayed, I sang worship songs, I read a Bible passage and yet nothing seemed to break through the fog in my mind. After an hour or so, I asked the Lord to show me what to do. How do I connect with You if You don't reveal Yourself to me, I wondered?

Immediately, a passage of scripture came into my mind. In the first chapter of Second Peter, the Apostle was assuring his readers that Jesus had given them everything they needed for life and godliness. Then he encouraged them to strive to develop godly virtues. Finally, he warned in verse nine that anyone who doesn't "is blind and cannot see afar off and has forgotten that he was purged from his old sins."

As soon as I began to think about who I was and what my life had been like on the day I encountered Jesus I began to connect with Him again. Suddenly, memories of specific moments that have happened over the years began to flow through my mind and heart. Quickly, I felt the hope began to rise that I would experience God's mercies and grace one more new day as He had promised. Finally, I was caught up again in the excitement of the adventure a daily walk with Jesus has always been. After all, who can remain unemotional in the face of that reality?

My book is: Available Grace: True Short Stories of the Rewards of Intentional Living

To find it, click on:  http://sbpra.com/mariannecassell


No comments:

Post a Comment